Display of partial derivatives.

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg26630] Display of partial derivatives.
  • From: "Richard W. Simmons" <rws at analytics-inc.com>
  • Date: Sat, 13 Jan 2001 22:36:10 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Hi,

While there's probably an easy answer to my question, I couldn't find it in
the texts and online resources that I looked at.

I've got a optimization problem, with functional forms that looks like:

UK = Uk[ xk, Lk]
UJ = Uj[ xj, Lj]
Vk = Vk[ wk, Ak]
Vj = Vk[ wk, Ak]

where xj = wj T + Aj - wj Lj + ... other elements
	xk = wk T + Ak + wK Lk + ... other elements

This sets up a objective function that I mazimize:

(Uk - Vk) (Uj - Vj)

When I was using v3 of Mathematica, the First Order Conditions were in a
format of Uk (0,1) where (0,1) was a superscript.
I've come back to this problem after a little hiatus, upgraded to v4, and I
get derivatves in a more traditional format, [done w.r.t Lk] with dUk as a
numerator, and an expression (dAk - Lk wk + Twk -...) as a denominator.

Is there some way to switch back to the old representation?  Did I miss
something?

Thanks.

Richard Simmons