[Q] symbolic SVD?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg26809] [Q] symbolic SVD?
  • From: research at proton.csl.uiuc.edu (James)
  • Date: Wed, 24 Jan 2001 04:18:47 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Sorry about reposting.
I've not received any reply yet,
and I tried several ways, but I couldn't get a clue, either.
So if anyone can help, that would be appreciated.

I've used 'symbolic' calculation in mathematica in many ways,
but this time,
I wonder if mathematica can solve symbolic matrix operation.
Specifically,

   m = {{a, b},
        {c, d},
        {e, f}}

   SingluarValues[m]

returns

  SingularValues::"svdf": "SingularValues has received a matrix
          with infinite precision."

(a,b,c,d,e,f are all symbolics.)
I need to do several symbolic matrix operations such as SingularValues.
Is there any way to do that?
Thank you.