Re: Napoleon

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg26913] Re: Napoleon
  • From: Martin Kraus <Martin.Kraus at informatik.uni-stuttgart.de>
  • Date: Fri, 26 Jan 2001 23:29:53 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Mike wrote:

> Hi,
>
> At some time over the last couple of years I remember coming across a
> notebook with a graphic which showed Napoleons march toward moscow (?). From
> memory the objective of the notebook may have been to demonstrate the use of
> graphics primitives. I can't remember where I saw this (mathsource?,
> resource library? etc).
>
> Can anyone help me out?
>
> cheers
>
> Mike

Hi,

it was mentioned in the MathUser issue #6, Spring 1994:
http://www.mathsource.com/Content/Publications/Periodicals/MathUser/0205-771
(Mathematica Miscellany) or
http://www.wolfram.com/news/mathwire/mathuser/1994spring.html
You can access the mentioned MathSource notebook via ftp:
ftp://ftp.mathsource.com/pub/NumberedItems/0205-366-0022
(I didn't find a link to it in the HTML version of MathSource.)

This graphic is actually a reproduction of a much more detailed
historical
visualization of Napoleon's march by Minard. (Reproduced for example in
Tufte, The Visual Display of Quantitative Information, Graphics Press
1983.)
There was a paper about a new reconstruction on the IEEE Visualization
2000
conference by Matthew C. Humphrey (matth at iviz.com) called "Creating
Reusable
Visualizations with the Relational Visualization Notation".

Hope this helps

Martin Kraus