Re: Re: Overriding Power

To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
> To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
> > Subject: [mg26980] [mg26902] [mg26808] Overriding Power
> >

> > > Hello,
> > >
> > > I am working on a package that deals with non-communative
> > > multiplication
> > > and I have run into a problem with the Power function. As we know
> > > Power[a b,n] (where n is an integer) automatically gets converted to
> > > Power[a,n] Power[b,n]. However, with non-communative multiplication (I
> > > have removed the Orderless attribute from Times to make it
> > > non-communative) this isn't valid. Is there any way I can stop
> > > Mathematica from automatically doing this conversion?
> > >
> > > Jeff
> > > --
> > > Jeffrey Hersh,PhD
> > >
> > > Remove the *NOSPAM* to reply.
> > >
> > > <insert amusing quote here>
> > >

> --
> Jeffrey Hersh,PhD
>
> Remove the *NOSPAM* to reply.
>
> <insert amusing quote here>

Some ideas for handling noncommuting objects may be found in

http://library.wolfram.com/conferences/conference98/abstracts/symbolic_FAQ.html

in the noncommutative algebra section. Also there have been numerous
MathGroup threads related to this sort of issue. If you go to

http://library.wolfram.com/mathgroup/

and search the archives for NonCommutativeMultiply you will see numerous
messages, some of which may be of use for your particular needs.

Daniel Lichtblau
Wolfram Research