Re: Queries: notebook, matrices

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg27028] Re: Queries: notebook, matrices
  • From: "Allan Hayes" <hay at haystack.demon.co.uk>
  • Date: Tue, 30 Jan 2001 23:22:44 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

"M. Damerell" <uhah208 at rhbnc.ac.uk> wrote in message
news:9562tq$6q at smc.vnet.net...
 ---- Snip -------
> 1. I do a lot of calculation in a notebook, save it,
> then when I restart Math & open the file I have to
> recalculate each item before I can resume where I
> left off.  Is there any way to tell Math to recalculate
> everything when the file is reopened?

There is a menu command:  Kernel > Evaluation > Evaluate Notebook

If your calculations take a lot of time then you might consider using Save
to save definitions in a file

> 2. I enter a matrix as (say)  A={{1,2,3},{4,5,6} etc
> and it displays in that form. Is there any way to make
> Math display matrices as matrices? I know you can do
>
> B=A.A//MatrixForm
>
> this looks right but Math doesnt know this is a matrix.
> So I would like matrices to be held internally in list
> form but displayed in matrix form.

Use
(B=A)//MatrixForm
 or
Set menu > Default Output Format Type > TraditionalForm
or
convert appropriate output cells to TraditionalForm using menu > Cell >
Convert To > TraditionalForm

> 3. and finally, is there any way to export the matrix
> into  Excel?

I guess

Mathematica Link for Excel:
http://www.wolfram.com/products/applications/excel_link/