True 3D Text Characters?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg30051] True 3D Text Characters?
  • From: "David Park" <djmp at earthlink.net>
  • Date: Wed, 25 Jul 2001 01:00:36 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Dear MathGroup,

I am trying to illustrate the effect of 3D rotation matrices. I want to make
a model of a book and then rotate it in different manners. As a nice touch I
would like to put some printing on the face of the book, something like
"Quaternions by Hamilton". But, alas, I can't do this with Text statements.
What I need is a 3D font that actually draws characters in three dimensional
space. I need something where you can actually specify the location,
scaling, and normal direction for the plane of the writing. Has anyone ever
done anything like this?

David Park
djmp at earthlink.net
http://home.earthlink.net/~djmp/