Re: Re: Thickness Isn't Thickness

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg30056] Re: [mg30038] Re: Thickness Isn't Thickness
  • From: John Fultz <jfultz at wolfram.com>
  • Date: Thu, 26 Jul 2001 01:19:56 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

By default, when you print a PostScript graphic under Windows, it uses the
onscreen PostScript renderer to create a list of drawing commands (scaled
in a coordinate system appropriate for the printer) called a "metafile".
This metafile is delivered to the printer driver, which generates output
appropriate for that printer (this process is basically what 99% of all
Windows/Mac software out there does).  A PostScript printer driver takes
this list of drawing commands and generates fresh PostScript.  That's why
the printed PostScript differs from the export you get from Export[].

But, Mathematica has a printing mode where you can dump raw the PostScript
of the graphic to the printer, too.  We don't use this by default because
trying to accurately print raw PostScript which uses TrueType fonts is a
pathological problem, unless you make your living writing printer drivers
(a business we're not eager to take on).  However, the method of dumping
raw PostScript works great as long as all of the fonts in your graphic are
pre-downloaded to the printer (every printer includes the big three,
Times, Courier, and Helvetica), or are our own Math fonts, for which we
include Type 1 font descriptions.

To use this method instead, open the Option Inspector
(Edit->Preferences...) and look for the "GraphicsPrintingFormat" option.
Set it at the notebook scope (if you only want to change the behavior of a
single notebook) or the global scope (if you want to change the behavior
everywhere) to:
	"GraphicsPrintingFormat"->"DownloadPostScript"

Sincerely,

John Fultz
jfultz at wolfram.com
User Interface Group