Re: Mathematica from Perl

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg29274] Re: [mg29242] Mathematica from Perl
  • From: Omega Consulting <pptssman at yahoo.com>
  • Date: Sat, 9 Jun 2001 03:09:02 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Mathematica notebooks are primarily for use with the front end. You would
be much better off trying to interface with the kernel. The best way to do
this is to convert your notebook into a package (File>Save As
Special>Package Format).

Once you do this, you can communicate with the kernel in several ways. You
can use perl commands to execute the kernel just like you would from the
command line. Such as

exec("math << mypackage.m >> myresults.txt")

This executes the kernel with input coming from your package and output
going to a text file (assuming that you or the perl script needs to look at
the output). You can also have the package write output to a file with
kernel commands. This gives you more control over the output.

An alternative is to use MathLink to communicate between perl and
Mathematica. See

http://www.mathsource.com/Content/Enhancements/MathLink/0209-393