Re: JLink on Linux with Sun JDK 1.3.1

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg29308] Re: JLink on Linux with Sun JDK 1.3.1
  • From: tgayley at wolfram.com (Todd Gayley)
  • Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2001 04:18:26 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

On Mon, 11 Jun 2001 08:46:24 +0000 (UTC), Raphael Arlitt <R.Arlitt at itm.rwth-aachen.de>
wrote:

>Hi,
>I tried real hard to get JLink working with Sun JDK 1.3.1 without success.
>I use Linux SuSE 7.1 pro with a Mathematica 4.1 Student version.
>I first do <<Jlink`  followed by
>InstallJava[] which returns an error in a little stderr window:
>
>Exception
>in thread "main" java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: com/wolfram/jlink/Install
>
>Exception
>in thread "main"
>java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: com/wolfram/jlink/Install
>

>Exception in thread "main" java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError:
>com/wolfram/jlink/Install
>
>_______________________________________
>I did add the CLASSPATH and LD_LIBRARY_PATH settings for JLink.
>
>Did anybody get a similar setting to work?
>Really appreciating any  help,
>
>A desperate Linuxuser

Raphael,

It appears that J/Link is not properly installed. Java cannot find the
com.wolfram.jlink.Install class, which means that JLink.jar is not on your classpath. Try
the following from a command line:

    java com.wolfram.jlink.Install

If it works, you will see a Create Link: prompt. Dismiss it by hitting Return, and dismiss
the subsequent Listen On: prompt, and Java will quit. Presumably, it will fail for you
with a complaint that the com.wolfram.jlink.Install class cannot be found. Set the
classpath correctly and try the command line until you get it to work. Then go back to
Mathematica and try InstallJava[].

--Todd Gayley
Wolfram Research