Re: Re: OOP in Mathematica

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg29305] Re: Re: OOP in Mathematica
  • From: "Rudy Cazabon" <raygunprez at earthlink.net>
  • Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2001 04:18:23 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Hi everyone...

This is indeed a wonderful discussion on this matter regarding Mathematica.

However, I should interject with the following.  One of the tasks I use
Mathematica for day-in-and-day-out is discrete-event simlulations.  The OOP
approach that Dr. Maeder introduced a while back was so useful to us that we
built upon it to implement our own simulation requirements.

Mathematica was the most powerful set of statistical tools out there and
that is why we use it.  But, making use of most of this power to average
engineers like us via the pure-function approach that has advocated in this
newsgroup is not feasible.  In many ways, it is foreign to our language of
usage.

I don't want to add gasoline to this fire and restart this whole thread
again as to which is better OOP vs. functional vs. procedural vs. whatever.
It comes down to that there are many ways that one could work with
Mathematica.  And for the vast majority of programmer-users out there, OOP
is more tractable in thinking through problems ( and hence, we solve
problems, we get paid, we eat ).  I would be very nice if Mathematica could
natively host an integrated way of describing mathematical operations in an
OOP manner.

Sincerely,
Rodolfo J. Cazabon
Discreet - a division of Autodesk, Inc.