Re: how to get an assignment from a rule ?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg29329] Re: how to get an assignment from a rule ?
  • From: "Kevin J. McCann" <KevinMcCann at home.com>
  • Date: Thu, 14 Jun 2001 02:27:11 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Guido, I assume that what you would like is to have a=b and c=d. Here is a
way

a=.;
c=.;

(* You have the following rule from something else *)
rul={a->b,c->d}

rul/.Rule->Set

(*Now check to see that the assignment has been made *)
{a,c}
(*Mathematica should output {b,d} *)

To see why this works type
rul//Fullform
you will see something like this

List[Rule[a,b],Rule[c,d]]

when you typed rul/.Rule->Set, you changed the "Rule" in the above to "Set"
that is you made the assignments.

Cheers,

Kevin

The wise words of Guido Carlet on Wednesday 13 June 2001 03:16: