Re: Re: Importing EPS

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg29352] Re: [mg29140] Re: Importing EPS
  • From: "Michael" <michael at science.edu>
  • Date: Thu, 14 Jun 2001 02:27:28 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

----- Original Message -----
From: "Wolfgang Glunz" <Wolfgang.Glunz at icn.siemens.de>
To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
Subject: [mg29352] [mg29140] Re: Importing EPS

> Jens-Peer Kuska wrote:
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> > the PostScript import is *very* simple and will not work with
> > a complicated image. The best solution seems to write a Mathematica
> > backend for pstoedit. The power of ghostscript may be better
>
> The next version of pstoedit will include a backend towards
> Mathematica contributed by Manfred Thole <manfred at thole.org>
>
> But - if Mathematica can already process simple PostScript,
> you could try to run your original Postscript through
> pstoedit -f ps
> to get a much simpler PostScript which maybe Mathematica
> is able to read directly.
>
> Wolfgang
>

> --
> Wolfgang Glunz

I do not see "pstoedit" in the Mathematica directory.  There are a couple of
executables which appear to be related to PostScript somehow (makepsres.exe,
psrender.exe) but I cannot find any documentation on them, so I assume that
they are called from Mathematica somewhere.  Is pstoedit a *nix utility?  I
am running Mathematica under Windows ME [bleah ;)].

The test EPS that I generated was not terrible complex, by the way.  It was
something along the lines of a few boxes with text in them.

Michael