Re: Originality

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg29523] Re: [mg29482] Originality
  • From: Andrzej Kozlowski <andrzej at tuins.ac.jp>
  • Date: Sat, 23 Jun 2001 01:47:06 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

I would like to comment on only one aspect Orestis's  message namely the
idea expressed in it (and in some earlier postings) that "object oriented"
programming is "the norm" (and that Fortran has anything to do with
"mathematics"!) while functional (and logic) programming are somehow
non-standard and unusual (and were  "original" at the time when Mathematica
appeared).
 I first took a programming course as a first year mathematics
undergraduate, well before personal computers came into existence. I learned
"procedural" programming and found the whole idea tedious and intellectually
trivial, having no more to do with mathematics that a pocket calculator. I
began to change my mind only about a decade later, when I came across LISP,
which by that time had become the de facto standard among people who were
doing any kind of serious mathematics using a computer. I think this was
also largely true about physicists. I have never met anyone who used Fortran
for what I consider mathematics.
Mathematica appeared at around that time. It was written by a well known
physicist and its original target user community was mostly physicists and
mathematicians. It's programming language was one of its most attractive
aspects, but it was because it was one that was already  known and  well
accepted by this particular user community.  As far as I can tell the
situation remains the same today. Functional programming together with logic
programming are much more important for mathematical and scientific
applications than object oriented programming. As an illustration I will
note that first year undergraduates at Cambridge University have to study ML
(functional) and Java (object oriented). Those intending to pursue physics
or mathematics find the former the more useful, those interested in software
development the latter.
The reason why I am writing this is not to try to denigrate object oriented
programming but to point out that the community of users of Mathematica is
very varied, and one should not assume that we all all making statistical
models or something of that sort. In fact, I would argue that even today
what makes Mathematica so remarkable a tool is that it was designed by a
person with a sophisticated understanding of mathematics and the most
natural way to program when working with mathematical structures. I
certainly do not mind other people developing their different paradigms but,
I  would find it  regrettable if Wolfram Research ever put any serious
effort into developing alternatives to what already is the best and the most
natural paradigm for programming mathematics.

Andrzej Kozlowski