Mathematica and PDE

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg29545] Mathematica and PDE
  • From: jcapco at mathematik.uni-ulm.de (Jose Capco)
  • Date: Sun, 24 Jun 2001 02:00:58 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Dear NG,

I am a PhD math student, but I am doing part-time research in the
optoelectronics. We are to simulate current distribution through semiconductor
and we use simple Maxwell's equation (with diffusion involved).

People in the optoelectronics use a software called FlexPDE to solve 2nd order
Nonlinear PDEs and produce contour and vector plots with boundary condition.
FlexPDE uses Finite Elements Method to solve the PDE with boundary condition.
But I believe that Mathematica has this ability too and I was wondering if
Mathematica could solve nonlinear 2nd order or higher PDEs or is there a package
that one can get from Mathematica resources for this. I would be particularly
interested if someone has already done current distribution in 2 or 3 dimensions
and could share with me his experience of doing this with Mathematica. Thanks in
advance.

Sincerely,
Jose Capco

PS: Does Mathematica Resource Page have any sample works using Maxwell's
equation? Sorry, but I am not a physicist and I need a little more knowledge on
this.