Re: Are there any interactive UI-addon packages for Mathematica?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg27559] Re: Are there any interactive UI-addon packages for Mathematica?
  • From: Michael Malak <malak at wolfram.com>
  • Date: Wed, 7 Mar 2001 04:07:56 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Roger Ison wrote:

> In a very short time I have come to love the power of Mathematica, but its
> facilities for creating interactive user interfaces seem to be almost
> non-existent; just buttons and text. Are there any add-in packages that
> provide a set of event-driven user "controls" such as a scroll bar one can
> embed in a notebook, or reading a mouse coordinate in a 2D plot?
>
> Thanks
> Roger

You should look into J/Link, which connects Mathematica with Java,
and lets you use AWT and Swing components for GUIs.  You can't embed
them in notebooks, though; you must create a separate window.  It's at
http://www.wolfram.com/solutions/mathlink/jlink/ if you want to try it.

Mike
--
Michael Malak                    1.  All syllogisms have three parts.
Wolfram Research, Inc.           2.  Therefore, this is not a syllogism.
malak at wolfram.com