Re: Large number of equations with large number of unknowns

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg27563] Re: [mg27498] Large number of equations with large number of unknowns
  • From: "Mark Harder" <harderm at ucs.orst.edu>
  • Date: Wed, 7 Mar 2001 04:08:02 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Derek,
    You say you have linearly independent equations that you are trying to
solve for the "values" of the variables with Solve[].  However, I always
thought Solve was for solving nonlinear equations , Polynomial systems, and
mixtures.  A look at the implementation notes in the Book reveals some of
its methods, and they seem to be based on Groebner bases, variable
substitution methods, and construction of Inverse Functions in code that is
500 pages long. None of them are made for solving linear systems.  There are
specialized methods for solving Linear Systems of equations in Mathematica
(and elsewhere) and I find it hard to believe they can't handle an 80x80
system with ease.
     I recommend you begin with the add-on package
"LinearAlgebra`MatrixManipulation" which contains the function
LinearEquationsToMatrices[eqns,vars].  You give it your equations (with
double equals, ==) and a list of the 80 symbolic variables, and it returns
the matrix of coefficients of the system (which can be either symbolic or
numeric).  With that, you can use several methods -- There is a
GaussianElimination package in "LinearAlgebra`, which contains functions for
obtaining the LU decomposition of the coefficient matrix  and solving the
system with the decomposition.  See the documentation for details.
Good Luck
-mark harder