Thesis

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg27670] Thesis
  • From: Enrique Zeleny Vazquez <ezelenyv at sirio.ifuap.buap.mx>
  • Date: Sat, 10 Mar 2001 00:50:05 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

>I wonder if it is feasible to write a thesis or
>                              any other scientific documentations using
>Mathematica.
>

>                              --
>
>                              Jonghee Lee
>                              University of Maryland
>                              Department of Physics
>                              Gravitation Experiment
>                              College Park, MD 20742
>
>                              Tel.  301-405-6093(Lab)
>                                     301-405-6092(Office)

Yes I'm finishing my thesis written in Mathematica, is posible to do
many things in a fast and easy way, like entering symbols, subscripts,
matrices, numbering equations, etc. but is advisable to have a good
understanding of style sheets, and how options work, finer adjustments are
more difficult, and complicated things are hard to do, for example an
index with hyperlinks, TabFillings, page numbers, alignments, inline
cells, cell tags, and using many options; other things like complicated
Tables are hard too.
The worst thing I have found is that PageHeaders and footers only work for
a notebook or for chapters, but not for individual pages, like chapter's
first page, screen style environment for printout is awful.
But in general mathematica offers quality results beyond latex or word.
Maybe WRI can provide a thesis style sheet, or a poster
presentation stylesheet.

Enrique Zeleny
Instituto de Fisica
Puebla, Mexico