Re: Thesis

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg27647] Re: [mg27640] Thesis
  • From: "Matthew D. Langston" <langston at SLAC.Stanford.EDU>
  • Date: Sat, 10 Mar 2001 00:49:37 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Hi Jonghee,

I don't know if it was the best way or not, but I can tell you what I did to
write my Ph.D. dissertation.  I am actually just finishing up and graduating
this quarter, so this is all still fresh in my mind.

I.  So, maybe my approach to using Mathematica for completing a Ph.D thesis
will give you some ideas.

I used a both a Windows 2000 computer and a RedHat Linux 6.1 computer for
all of my analysis and writing.  I did almost all of my data analysis on the
Windows 2000 computer using Mathematica and Excel (I purchased "Mathematica
Link for Excel" form Wolfram - thank God for their student pricing).  I
produced all of the graphics for my thesis using Mathematica, since the
graphics are so good and they can be written out in EPS format, which is
"Latex friendly".  However, I did all of the writing in Latex using good old
emacs on my Linux computer.

I suppose I could have attempted to do all of the writing in Mathematica,
but I chose not to because my University has strict rules about the physical
structure and appearance of dissertations (as probably yours does too), and
there were already Latex "templates" I could use that were created by
graduate students who had gone before me.

So, for me using emacs+latex for the writing seemed like the path of least
resistance because I didn't have a Mathematica "style sheet" that satisfied
my university's requirements.  Note that emacs and Latex do run under
Windows, so in principle I could have done everything under Windows if I had
wanted to.  However, I had a lot of trouble using Latex under Windows mainly
due to the differences in the path specifications between Windows and Linux.

If I didn't already have the Latex "templates" that were customized for my
University, I might have looked into learning how to write a Mathematica
style sheet for a dissertation.  However, it wasn't clear to me that
Mathematica's front end is even rich enough to produce all of the output tha
t most dissertations require (i.e. curriculum vitae, table of contents, list
of figures, list of tables, bibliographies, appendices, etc.).  From my
personal experience, Latex really is a pretty good platform for writing a
dissertation.

I did, however, create all of the equations, and some of the tables, for my
dissertation using Mathematica, and then wrote them out using Mathematica's
TeXForm command.  This was *alot* easier for me than learning all of the
subtleties of Latex and Tex.

Well, I hope maybe I gave you some ideas about how to approach using
Mathematica for use in preparing a Ph.D. dissertation.  Good luck!

Regards, Matt
--
Matthew D. Langston
SLD, Stanford Linear Accelerator Center