Re: Re: NSolve problem

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg27692] Re: [mg27633] Re: [mg27541] NSolve problem
  • From: "Paul Lutus" <nospam at nosite.com>
  • Date: Sun, 11 Mar 2001 04:04:35 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

"Christopher J. Purcell" <purcell at drea.dnd.ca> wrote in message
news:2jlq6.7079$96.41134 at ralph.vnet.net...
> In  under 1 second, this kills the Kernel on my Powerbook G3 Mac
> running MacOS 8.6, and Mathematica 4.0, no matter how much memory I
> throw at it. Then an Error 10 bomb. That is one rude polynomial you
> have created. When I plot poly, the effect of its large cancelling
> terms (that make it sensitive to numerical round-off error) are
> obvious. Using the third argument of NSolve did not help.

Okay, at this point it is fair to state a trend. Regardless of the
pathological nature of the original equation, people with PCs are generally
able to solve it, while people with Macs are generally not able to.

Clearly the original problem is outside the envelope (as test pilots are
wont to say) and poses more of a challenge to computer hardware than to
mathematics. Beyond this I should not go, knowing the regard Mac owners
sometimes have for their machines. :)

--
Paul Lutus
www.arachnoid.com