Re: "just a bug" !; Mathematica 4

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg27804] Re: "just a bug" !; Mathematica 4
  • From: Lawrence Walker <lwalker701 at earthlink.net>
  • Date: Sat, 17 Mar 2001 05:41:33 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Hi Peter,

Try changing the limits of integration variables to be different from any variables
you called out within the integrand.  That is, you can try

sol=Integrate[Sqrt[(r - x)(r + x)], {x, -a, a}] instead of
sol=Integrate[Sqrt[(r - x)(r + x)], {x, -r, r}]

and then

Limit[sol, r -> a]  (* this step took a while to execute on my machine *)

This should give the expected solution in versions 4.0 and 4.1.

Lawrence