Re: Mathematica to MIDI?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg27833] Re: Mathematica to MIDI?
  • From: "Paul Lutus" <nospam at nosite.com>
  • Date: Mon, 19 Mar 2001 01:29:29 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

"Alan" <kd7cyb at mac.com> wrote in message news:98viob$946 at smc.vnet.net...
> I know what MIDI is and what I am trying to do is convert, for example,
> a list of values containing a frequency to play on the synthesizer and
> the duration for how long to play it. Is there a Mathematica package to
> do so?
>
> The list may look like:
> {{note,duration},{note,duration},{note,duration}...}

Why not export the information as a supported file type (aiff,au,snd,wav)
and convert it externally? There are many ways, some free, to convert from a
common file type like WAV to another format like MIDI.

But if your purpose is simply to export and play a sound file, why not this
(example for Windows):

s = Play[Sin[2 Pi 440 t],{t,0,1},DisplayFunction->Identity];

Export["test.wav",s];

"test.wav" >> "!command.com"

--
Paul Lutus