Re: Integral problem

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg27921] Re: Integral problem
  • From: "Ian McInnes" <ian at whisper-wood.demon.co.uk>
  • Date: Fri, 23 Mar 2001 04:31:57 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

The definitive check is to differentiate the result using D. This should
return the integrand (though in a possibly different form). Let:
        mathint     be the integral returned by Mathematica
        otherint     be the integral returned by the other system
(in Mathematica notation).
Then:
        D[{mathint, otherint}, x]//Simplify
yields the integrand in each case, confirming that both results are correct.

An integrable function f[x] has is an infinite number of possible integrals,
due to an arbitrary integration constant (if some function F[x] is an
integral of f[x], then so is F[x] + c).
In fact, (mathint - otherint) is:
        Pi/(4 Sqrt[3]) - Pi/12 I
This is a complex constant independent of the variable of integration.

However, I am not sure why Mathematica returns a much more complicated
expression than another system. The integral is a product of x^3 and (x^4 + x^2 +
1)^-1. The second factor is covered by standard tables,  which give a result
similar to that from another system. Using the by parts formula with the other factor
x^3 yields a relatively simple result.
Also, Mathematica does not appear to be able to simplify the difference
between "mathint" and "otherint", although plotting the differences between
the real and imaginary components on a graph gives the above constant values
with only machine arithmetic errors.

Regards,

Ian McInnes.

news:99cigc$8jq at smc.vnet.net...