Problem with Mathematica fonts in pdfLaTeX

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg27899] Problem with Mathematica fonts in pdfLaTeX
  • From: "L. Dwynn Lafleur" <lafleur at louisiana.edu>
  • Date: Fri, 23 Mar 2001 04:31:19 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

I have run into a problem trying to use Mathematica type1 fonts in pdfLaTeX.
My platform is Windows 98, and I am using Mathematica 4.1 as well as MikTeX,
version 2.0, update 1.  I have copied all the relevant .map, .tfm, .vf, .fd,
and .sty files from the folder C:\Program Files\Wolfram
Research\Mathematica\4.1\SystemFiles\IncludeFiles\TeX into corresponding
positions in my C:\localtexmf folder.  In addition, I have copied the
contents of the AFM and Type1 folders in
C:\Program Files\Wolfram Research\Mathematica\4.1\SystemFiles\Fonts into
folders
"..\afm\wolfram" and "..\type1 under C:\localtexmf\fonts.

Consider the following test document:

   \documentclass{article}
   \usepackage{wrisym}
   \begin{document}
      $\alpha$
   \end{document}

If I send it through LaTeX->dvips, I produce a PS file with the <Math1.pfa>
font embedded and which can be viewed in GSView. However, if I run the
document through pdfLaTex, right after the display seems to indicate
embedding of the <Math1.pfa>, I get a system error:

   Pdflatex:

   This program has performed an illegal operation (etc.)...

   PDFLATEX caused an invalid page fault in module KERNEL32.DLL at
   015f:bff7a379.

Incidentally, my pdftex.cfg file is

   output_format 1
   compress_level 9
   decimal_digits 3
   page_width 210mm
   page_height 297mm
   horigin 1in
   vorigin 1in
   map pdftex.map
   map +txr1.map
   map +wolfram.map

I don't think my general pdftex setup is at fault, for if I change "wrisym"
in the above test document to "txfonts", pdfLaTeX compiles it just fine,
embedding the corresponding font <rtxmi.pfb> and producing an output file
viewable in Acrobat
Reader.  And, imagining there might be a pfa-pfb problem, I changed all
references to .pfa files to .pfb files in wolfram.map.  This still produced
an error when run through pdfLaTeX after (apparently) embedding <Math1.pfb>.

Can anyone see if I am doing something wrong?  I would certainly appreciate
any help.  Thanks.

Dwynn

L. Dwynn Lafleur
Professor of Physics