Re: area of intersection of 2 triangles

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg27934] Re: area of intersection of 2 triangles
  • From: "Paul Lutus" <nospam at nosite.com>
  • Date: Sat, 24 Mar 2001 00:48:58 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

<axc at poincare.EECS.cwru.edu> wrote in message
news:99f88j$c4m at smc.vnet.net...

> can someone point me to algorithms for determining the area of the
> intersection of two planar triangles, one that hopefullly generalizes?
> i know of a low-complexity algorithm to find the intersection of two
> polygons but don't think that generalizes to intersection of two
> n-simplexes in R^n

The problem can be broken down into finding the points of intersection of
lines, constructing possibly irregular polygons out of the line segments,
and computing the area of those segments using the common method:

area(irregular polygon) =

1/2 * ((x1+x2)(y1-y2)+(x2+x3)(y2-y3)+...+(xn+x1)(yn-y1))

Note the return to the first data pair at the end of the series.

This is not a particularly elegant solution, but it will give you a starting
point.

--
Paul Lutus
www.arachnoid.com