problem of evaluating SQRT

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg27981] problem of evaluating SQRT
  • From: "Pek" <phsoh at alum.mit.edu>
  • Date: Tue, 27 Mar 2001 01:26:17 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Hi,

We have a question of how sqrt can be evaluated.

In[1]:=
Sqrt[x^2]

Out[1]=
(This part is just sqrt[X^2])

Below we expect the result to be zero but it isn't. How can we get the
correct answer in this case?

In[2]:=
Sqrt[x^2] - x

Out[2]=
(This part is -x + sqrt[x^2] )

Will really appreciate your help. Thanks.

Pek