Re: t distribution

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg28028] Re: t distribution
  • From: "Ian McInnes" <ian at whisper-wood.demon.co.uk>
  • Date: Wed, 28 Mar 2001 02:41:00 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

I am not quite sure what you mean, but the Quantile function applied to the
Student  t distribution is probably what you want. This is the inverse of
the cumulative probability density function.

For example, the area inside a 95% confidence interval is that under the
curve of the PDF between the t deviate for a cumulative probability of 0.025
and that for 0.975.
The t value for the upper bound of this confidence interval for a single
sample of size 10 (9 degrees of freedom) is given by:
        Quantile[StudentTDistribution[9], 0.975]
and analogously for the lower bound. Since the t distribution is symmetric
and centred on zero, the lower bound is the negative of the upper bound.

Then the confidence interval is the mean +/- a function involving the t
value for the upper bound.

Regards,

Ian McInnes.

news:99pdbo$lfh at smc.vnet.net...