Re: binomial distribution

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg28017] Re: [mg27968] binomial distribution
  • From: Tomas Garza <tgarza01 at prodigy.net.mx>
  • Date: Wed, 28 Mar 2001 02:40:47 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Yes, but you must construct the graph yourself, which is simple enough. Or
you may do it using another add-on package, namely Graphics`Graphics`. First
load the Statistics package:

In[1]:=
<< Statistics`DiscreteDistributions`;

Suppose you want your parameters to be 20 (number of trials) and 0.5
(probability in a single trial). Define

In[2]:=
bin = BinomialDistribution[20, 0.5];

The table of values of the distribution is

b = Table[PDF[bin, j], {j, 0, 20}];

Now you load the Graphics package:

In[3]:=
<< Graphics`Graphics`;

Finally, you produce the desired graph:

In[4]:=
BarChart[b, PlotRange -> {{0, 20}, {0, 0.2}}];

Try the above. There are many options which you can use to improve the look
of your plot. Above all, study carefully the help browser on the Graphics
package. And do a lot of experiments to make yourself familiar with it. It
pays.

Tomas Garza
Mexico City