Unconventional Max[] behavior

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg28048] Unconventional Max[] behavior
  • From: Ralph Benzinger <mma-l at endlos.net>
  • Date: Thu, 29 Mar 2001 03:24:14 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Hello:

For many years I've been under the impression that Max[] can deal with
numerical quantities only:

In[1]:=
	Max[a + 1, a + 2]
Out[1]=
	Max[1 + a, 2 + a]

I was quite surprised when some days ago I discovered by accident that
Max[] actually does simplify symbolic arguments when specifically told
to do so:

In[2]:=
	Max[a + 1, a + 2] // Simplify
Out[2]=
	2 + a

But I was even more surprised when I tried to get a feel for the
capabilities of the function:

In[3]:=
	Max[2a + 1, 2a + 2] // Simplify
Out[3]=
	Max[1 + 2 a, 2 + 2 a]

Just WHY can Mathematica simplify [2] but not [3]?  Does anybody
happen to know some details about the inner workings of the Max[]
function?

A related question to my "discovery": Is there a standard way of
defining a "simplification" rather than an "evaluation" rule?  For
example, if I have some function `foo' and I do _not_ want to include
the definition

	foo[a_] + foo[b_] ^:= foo[a+b]

can I still have the rewrite rule

	foo[a_] + foo[b_] -> foo[a+b]

applied automatically whenever I invoke Simplify[]?

Regards,
Ralph

--
Ralph Benzinger          "This is my theory, it is mine, I own it,
Cornell University        and what it is, too." -- Ann Elk (Mrs.)