NIntegrate embedded in a function

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg28122] NIntegrate embedded in a function
  • From: Mike Yukish <may106 at psu.edu>
  • Date: Sat, 31 Mar 2001 02:58:54 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

I want to write a function along the lines of...

foo[x_] := NIntegrate[Cos[y^2],{y,0,x}]

so the function argument is the limit of the integral. Then make a
surrogate for it...

bar = FunctionInterpolation[foo[z],{z,0,10}]

This works, and I get a bar[ ] function that matches foo[ ] over the
domain, but first I get a whole bunch of errors along the lines of....

NIntegrate::nlim : "y = z is not a valid limit of integration."

Is there any way to avoid these errors other than turning them off? Some
sort of evaluation order trickery?