RE: ToString on object

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg28612] RE: [mg28565] ToString on object
  • From: "tgarza01 at prodigy.net.mx" <tgarza01 at prodigy.net.mx>
  • Date: Wed, 2 May 2001 03:37:04 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

The reason you get your result in alphabetical order is that Mathematica assumes that you are using symbols, since there is no way of knowing they are strings. Then a blank space means multiplication and the factors appear in alphabetical order, as you can see by looking at FullForm. It is only then that they are converted into strings. I suggest you wrap your input in quotation marks before applying ToString, i.e.,
"bb aa, rr cc". Then you'll obtain the desired result.

Tomas Garza
Mexico City