RE: Re: LightYear Conversion is Incorrect in Units Package

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg28635] RE: [mg28627] Re: LightYear Conversion is Incorrect in Units Package
  • From: "David Park" <djmp at earthlink.net>
  • Date: Thu, 3 May 2001 04:28:25 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

All the figures I give here are the same in the NIST Guide to SI Units which
Urijah gives a link to, and the CRC Handbook of Chemistry and Physics 75th
Edition.

The conversion for LightYear is 9.46073*^15 Meter.
(Mathematica uses 9.4605*^15 Meter)

The conversion for TropicalYear is 3.155693*^7 Second (== 365.2422454 Day)
The conversion for SiderealYear is 3.155815*^7 Second (== 365.2563657 Day,
close to Mathematica)
(Mathematica has 365.24219 Day for the TropicalYear)

I changed the Units package by putting in the better value for LightYear.
Then if I convert 1 LightYear to Seconds (using c = 1) I obtain
LightYear -> 3.15575984236401*^7 Second

This is just in between the TropicalYear and SideralYear. The NIST notes on
light year say: "This conversion is based on the astronomical unit of time
of one day (86400 seconds); an interval of 36525 days is one Julian
century." They don't tell us how many days are taken in a year. Why light
year is not linked to some common definition of Year is beyond me.

David Park
djmp at earthlink.net
http://home.earthlink.net/~djmp/

To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net