Re: How to remove, change the assymptotic lines?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg28779] Re: How to remove, change the assymptotic lines?
  • From: "Allan Hayes" <hay at haystack.demon.co.uk>
  • Date: Sat, 12 May 2001 20:18:12 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

DeleteVerticals[gr_Graphics, slopeMax_]:=
 gr/.Line[lst_] :>
      Module[{xmin,xmax,ymin,ymax,ar,scl},
        (*get the plot range and the aspect ratio used*)
        {{{xmin,xmax},{ymin,ymax}},ar} =
          Last/@AbsoluteOptions[gr,{PlotRange,AspectRatio}];
        (*
          multiplying by scl converts a slope in user coordinates to the \
slope as seen - see note below*)
        scl=    ar (xmax-xmin)/(ymax-ymin);
        Map[Line,
             Split[lst,Abs[Divide@@ Reverse[#1 -#2]] scl <slopeMax &],
          1]];

Note: we have scl(ymax-ymin)/(xmax-xmin) = ar .

The  technique can also  be used to style the steep segments rather than
remove them.

EXAMPLE

gr1=Plot[Tan[x], {x, -2Pi, Pi}];

Show[DeleteVerticals[gr1, 200],Frame\[Rule]True]

--
Allan
hay at haystack.demon.co.uk
Voice: +44 (0)116 271 4198
Fax: +44 (0)870 164 0565

"Jose Capco" <jcapco at mathematik.uni-ulm.de> wrote in message
news:9dg5f8$j3f at smc.vnet.net...
> Dear NG,
>
> I wish to plot the tangent function, but when I use
Plot[Tan[x],{x,-Pi,Pi}], I