Re: Re: Mandrake 8.0 and Mathematica 4.01

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg28844] Re: [mg28817] Re: Mandrake 8.0 and Mathematica 4.01
  • From: "P.J. Hinton" <paulh at wolfram.com>
  • Date: Tue, 15 May 2001 00:59:18 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

On Mon, 14 May 2001, AC Carlos wrote:

> >:Try hitting your NumLock key. When NumLock is on, I have the same GUI
> >:behaviour as you describe. I'm running Mandrake 7.1.
>
> I wonder if there might be a nicer way of doing this...  After all,
> NumLock ON is a very useful state for a modern keyboard!

Some points of clarification are appropriate here, especially those of
you who may not be familiar with some of the generalizations of the X
Window System.

For all front ends, regardless of platform, there exists a feature by
which pressing a particular modifier key has the following effects:

o Click-dragging within a notebook window will produce a scrolling effect
within the notebook, similar to the hand tool on Adobe Acrobat Reader.

o Clicking on a cell of a given style selects all cells using the
same style.

Here clicking under Windows and X Window should be taken to mean clicking
with the left button or mouse button 1 respectively.

The modifier key is platform specific:

	MacOS   : Option key
	Windows : Alt key
	X Window: Mod2 key

The mapping of Mod2 to a physical key on the keyboard is specified by the
X server.  It is an unfortunate conincidence that XFree86 maps to the Num
Lock key.  This is why you have been running into these troubles.

To avoid this conflict, simply remap Mod2 to another key using xmodmap or
some other keyboard configuration utility.

--
P.J. Hinton
User Interface Programmer                         paulh at wolfram.com
Wolfram Research, Inc.