Re: importing 3D list of data

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg28870] Re: importing 3D list of data
  • From: "Bill Bertram" <wkb at ansto.gov.au>
  • Date: Wed, 16 May 2001 03:28:16 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Mosa Chaisi <chaisim at nu.ac.za> wrote in message
news:9dqe8e$4k8 at smc.vnet.net...
> Hi all!
>
> I'm trying to import a surface into Mathematica 4.0, that is (x, y,
f(x,y)),
> and the best I found in help is Import["filename.ext","Table"] which
imports
> a 2D table of data. Any ideas someone? Thanx....

Even though your data represents a 3D geometrical surface, if the data in
"filename" is in the form,

x1  y1  f1
x2  y2  f2

then Import["filename.ext","Table"] will give you a 2D list of the form. of
the form { {x1,y1,f1}, {x2,y2 ,f2}, ...} which is exactly what you need for
ListSurfacePlot3D  located in the package Graphics'Graphics3D.

Cheers,
     Bill