Re: Re: Problem overriding simple built-in functions

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg28854] Re: [mg28834] Re: Problem overriding simple built-in functions
  • From: Andrzej Kozlowski <andrzej at tuins.ac.jp>
  • Date: Wed, 16 May 2001 03:28:04 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Basically Allan Hayes had already anticipated and asnswered your question.
As he pointed out the problem you run into is caused by GCD's Flat
attribute. It may be still interesting to note however the difference
between these two cases:

In[1]:=
$RecursionLimit=25;
In[2]:=
 Unprotect[GCD];
In[3]:=
 ClearAttributes[GCD, Listable];
In[4]:=
GCD[v_?VectorQ] := Apply[GCD, v]
In[5]:=
VectorQ[{1,2}]
Out[5]=
True
In[6]:=
v = {2, 4}
Out[6]=
{2,4}
In[7]:=
GCD[v]
$RecursionLimit::reclim: Recursion depth of 25 exceeded.
Out[7]=
GCD[{2,4}]

By contrast consider the following:

In[1]:=
 Unprotect[GCD];

In[2]:=
 ClearAttributes[GCD, Listable];

In[3]:=
GCD[v_List] := Apply[GCD, v]

In[4]:=
v={2,4}

Out[4]=
{2,4}

In[5]:=
GCD[v]

Out[5]=
GCD[{2,4}]

The difference is that in the second case there is no RecursionLimit
problem.

Roughly this is what happens. When you try to evaluate GCD[v]] the Flat
attribute causes this to be re-written as GCD[GCD[{2,4}]]. In the first case
Mathematica at this point checks if VectorQ[GCD[{2,4}] ] is true or not.
Again, trying to get a match it re-writes GCD[{2,4}] as GCD[GCD[{2,4}]] and
so on. Hence the recursion.

In the second case Mathematica only checks if the Head of the expression
GCD[{2,4}] is List. Since it is not there is no recursion.

--
Andrzej Kozlowski
Toyama International University

http://platon.c.u-tokyo.ac.jp/andrzej/