Re: OOP in Mathematica

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg28926] Re: OOP in Mathematica
  • From: "Paul Lutus" <nospam at nosite.com>
  • Date: Sat, 19 May 2001 22:27:47 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

"Jens-Peer Kuska" <kuska at informatik.uni-leipzig.de> wrote in message
news:9e2bm5$63u at smc.vnet.net...
> Hi,
>
> it will *not* help you !
>
> > Hi everybody...
> > I have been toying with OOP(Objected-Oriented Programming) & Mathematica
for
> > quite some time now and I am finaly in the process of implementing an
OOP
> > package for Mathematica. I know that the main reference in this area has
> > been Maeder's "Classes" package for some time now, but I always felt it
left
> > much to be desired.
> > So, if you used Maeder's package and/or are interested in the posibility
of
> > working with Objects in Mathematica I would appreciate your opinion on
the
> > following:
> > a) If you did use Maeder's package, what do you think of it?
>
> An example for teaching that show OOP is a stupid concept, if
> you have a better one.
>
> > b) What features would YOU like to see in such a package?
>
> Clean functional/logic programming.
> Complete removal of all the sick object orientation.
>
> > c) Anything else you can think of, that might interest/help me.
>
> It is a shame to use such a wonderful well desinged language
> like Mathematica's language to do OOP.

With all respect, I think you might have said "in my opinion." OOP is
revolutionizing software development, by (among other things) separating
implementation from interface, thus allowing modules to interact more easily
and with fewer problems. Mathematica's "Module[]" facility is a simple
embodiment of this idea, by enclosing code blocks and isolating them from
their applications, making it possible to change the methods without
changing the outer appearance and uses.

In my opinion, of course. :)

--
Paul Lutus