Re: Mathematica graphics/fonts and Tex

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg28941] Re: Mathematica graphics/fonts and Tex
  • From: Erich Mueller <emuelle1 at uiuc.edu>
  • Date: Sat, 19 May 2001 22:27:59 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Your problem is not with TeX, but with your DVI viewer, or your postscript
viewer.  TeX doesn't know anything about the postscript figures that you
try to insert -- it just inserts specials into the DVI file.  Fonts are
tricky things, and I am not an expert.  I am sure you will get a more
coherent response from someone else.

You need to do one of two things.
1.  Tell ghostscript (or whatever your postscript interpreter is) where
the mathematica fonts are.
or
2.  Tell dvips to insert the mathematica fonts when it makes a postscript
file.

If you want to see your figures properly using your dvi previewer you will
have to do #1.  If you want to be able to be able to share your document
with other people you need to do #2.

Its been a while since I set my system up, so I take what I say with a
grain of salt. Look at the ghostscript documentation and the dvips
documentation.  Also, check out a file msymdoc.dvi which should be
somewhere in your mathematica file tree.

To do #2, you want to copy a file called wolfram.map from the mathematica
document tree into the directory where your config.ps file is.  config.ps
is a configuration file for dvips.  If you are using miktex it will be
something like /texmf/dvips/config/.  You then want to edit
config.ps.  Look for a line that begins with "p".  On the next line write
"p +wolfram.map".  Finally you need to put the .pfa and .pfb files
somewhere where dvips can find them.  Off-hand I can't remember how to do
this, but a simple cludge is to edit the wolfram.map file, which has the
structure:
blah blah <blah.pfa
Put the full path of the file in front of blah.pfa.

Good luck.  If you come accross a good systematic description of how to do
this let me know.  I'd be willing to bet that there is something on the
Mathematica web site, since this is a fairly common question.

Erich