Re: Need help writing geology software using cirlces

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg29132] Re: [mg29117] Need help writing geology software using cirlces
  • From: "Sherman Reed" <sherman.reed at worldnet.att.net>
  • Date: Wed, 30 May 2001 23:28:21 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Pete,
I assume all angles are measured in a counter-clockwise direction from the
positive x axis.

Take the average of the angles, then use Mod to find the value from 0 to 360
degrees.

The attached note shows the results for the examples you provided.
[Contact the author to get this - moderator]

If you are going to use trigometric functions to plot points, etc., then
determining the sign of the function is covered in the trig texts.

Average or Mean is straightforward.  I suspect this is not the complete
answer, but it is a beginning.

Sherman C. Reed
sherman.reed at att.net