A Question about Expression Simplication

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg31553] A Question about Expression Simplication
  • From: "Lewis" <ylcsk at yahoo.com>
  • Date: Sun, 11 Nov 2001 00:34:38 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Hi MathGroup,

I am a beginner to Mathematica.  Please help me solve the following problem.

I am trying to manipulate expressions like:

    Sum[x_i, {i,1,T}] - x_2    or    Sum[x_i, {i,1,T}] - Sum[x_i, {i,1,2,T}]

I want to keep the upper limit as T, not any specific numeric value.  I
tried to use Simplify as in

    Simplify[Sum[x_i, {i,1,T}] - x_2]

But the x_2 term doesn't get cancelled out.  I also tried:

    Simplify[Sum[x_i, {i,1,T}] - x_2, T>2],

but it didn't seem to work either.  So I am wondering if the simplication
only works when I specify the value for T.  Any advice, please?

Thank you very much!

Best,
Lewis.