Re: Creating Objects

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg31649] Re: Creating Objects
  • From: "Ersek, Ted R" <ErsekTR at navair.navy.mil>
  • Date: Fri, 23 Nov 2001 05:46:17 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Oleg wanted to know how to do OOP in Mathematica.

Mathematica is not an Object Oriented Programming language.  You can
download a package posted at
http://www.mathsource.com/Content/Enhancements/Language/0206-525
which will allow you to emulate OOP in Mathematica, but I doubt this is a
good approach to Mathematica programming. Mathematica does have a powerful
and elegant programming language that is probably not like anything you ever
worked with before.  I should mention that Mathematica does support
procedural programming constructs that are typical of other programming
languages, but that is seldom the best way to do things in Mathematica.
What you should do is get a good intro Mathematica book.  I will send
another message soon recommending one in particular.

Once you have a working knowledge of Mathematica you might find my website
(URL below) a helpful resource.

Regards,
Ted Ersek
  Check Mathematica Tips, Tricks at