Compiling functions

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg31720] Compiling functions
  • From: Cyril Fischer <fischerc at itam.cas.cz>
  • Date: Thu, 29 Nov 2001 00:13:38 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Hello. I would like to ask you for help with compiling functions.

Let's have
expr = (-b + Sqrt[b^2 - 4*a*c])/(2*a)

Simple compile does not work for me:
tf = Compile[{a, b, c}, expr];  tf[1, 2, 3]

in this case the the values are not substitued for symbols.

Such a ugly construction works
tf = Compile[{a1, b1, c1},
    Evaluate[expr /. {a -> a1, b -> b1, c -> c1}]]; tf[1, 2, 3]

however it failes to evaluate compiled expression as the sqrt result is
not real.

1. How can I compile (assigned) expressions without substitution for
each parameter?

2. How can I compile expressions, which (for real input) can give
complex output?

Thanks, Cyril F.