Re: several messages

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg31004] Re: several messages
  • From: "P.J. Hinton" <paulh at wolfram.com>
  • Date: Mon, 1 Oct 2001 02:44:29 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

On Sat, 29 Sep 2001, Carlos Cabrera Zuniga wrote:

>  I started a sesion in a Linux machine A (or, i logged on in machine A),
>  and there i conected and started a new sesion in a Linux machine B
>  with complete graphics access in Machine A, so i started a Mathematica 4.0
>  (using the Mathematica graphical interface of B wich i can see in A)
>  application wich is running YET today.
>
>  The two machines are part of a single network and are using KDE Linux.
>
>  The problem started when someone...  turned off the machine A !,
>  so, any person would logon in A again, then again would logon in B,
>  open Mathematica 4, ok, seems ok,  but during the process the
>  Mathematica application could to be lost !, at least, i did it 2 times
>  in this way and those two times the application was lost!
>
>  So how to open Mathematica ( in A or ...in B? ) so that i can see the
>  program without any dangerous change?

On Sat, 29 Sep 2001, Carlos Cabrera Zuniga wrote:

>  Some aditional comments to my posted message:
>
>  Note that Linux machines are involved, so i cant use the option
>  Kernel in a remote machine (this requires remote machine to be a Unix one,
>  well, until now, understand it so, but i am today a begginer in remote
>  kernels), so this way of working is in some way important for any user i think.
>
>  The problem is almost identical to the situation in wich in a Network
>  machine you run a Mathematica program, then you log out, then later
>  you logon, and then you want to open your Mathematica program wich is still
>  running, the ask is how to ensure yourself that your program shall be recovered
>  intact ?
>
>  Well, perhaps this is really an ask wich only involves Linux good knowledge,
> but, well, i hope some of you have experience on this subject.
> Aditional, one important point is that the application runs for a very long time,
> so one thing is what you want is to see how your application is going?, or
> if your application is running normally and all is ok.
>
>  Again, thanks for any ideas, comments, collaborations, and please
> excuse me if this is an only Linux related problem.

If you have a large calculation that you wish to run on another machine
unattended, you may want to consider saving your inputs in a plain text
file and then run the kernel in batch mode.  This archived posting
describes this process in greater detail.

http://groups.google.com/groups?selm=6hp9f9%24d10%40smc.vnet.net

This will allow you to start the computation on a remote machine as a
background process and log out.  Note that this does not protect you
against a situation where someone may reboot the machine while the
operation is in progress.  There is no way to recover from that kind of
problem.

--
P.J. Hinton
User Interface Programmer                         paulh at wolfram.com