RE: RGBColor to Hue?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg31033] RE: [mg31022] RGBColor to Hue?
  • From: "David Park" <djmp at earthlink.net>
  • Date: Fri, 5 Oct 2001 01:22:44 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

I think I can answer my own question.

Basically we identify Red, Green and Blue with the complex numbers which are
the cube roots of 1. We weight these complex numbers by the r, g, b values
in RGBColor[r,g,b] and add. We can then define a hue as the argument of the
resulting complex number. If the sum is zero, then the color doesn't have a
hue. In that case we could generate a GrayLevel or a complete Hue
specification with saturation = 0. But I was only interested in sorting the
RGB colors in Graphics`Colors` by hue so I could group them and then sort by
brightness for a color palette.

Here is a routine for generating a hue, although I don't know if it
corresponds to the Mathematica hues.

hue[RGBColor[r_, g_, b_]] := Module[{h},
    If[h == 0, Indeterminate, (Arg[h]/Pi + 1)/2]]

hue /@ {Black, Green, Yellow, Red, Magenta, Blue, Cyan}
{Indeterminate, 0.166667, 0.333333, 0.5, 0.666667, 0.833333, 1.}

David Park
djmp at earthlink.net
http://home.earthlink.net/~djmp/

To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net