What variables are in a function and displaying surds

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg31117] What variables are in a function and displaying surds
  • From: michael_r_went at yahoo.com (Wonko the Sane)
  • Date: Wed, 10 Oct 2001 19:14:36 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Hi,

Is there a way in Mathematica to generate a list of variables in an
expression like Variable[]. For example if I passed the expression
Sin[x+y]+ z/p - t the list {x,y,z,p,t} would be generated.

Another unrelated question is when I use Mathematica V4.0 to calculate
tables of ThreeJSymbols the outputs Generally consist of fractions of
roots of the form

Sqrt[a/b] , c/Sqrt[d] and Sometimes Sqrt[e/f]/g

is there a way to force Mathematica always output them in the form
Sqrt[h]/i

eg instead of it giving Sqrt[2/3] giving Sqrt[6]/3

Regards, Michael