[Fwd: FYI: Mathematica forces re-indexing hard disk]

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg30649] [Fwd: FYI: Mathematica forces re-indexing hard disk]
  • From: Murray Eisenberg <murraye at mediaone.net>
  • Date: Sun, 2 Sep 2001 03:58:55 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Anybody else experience this?

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: [mg30649] FYI: Mathematica forces re-indexing hard disk
From: "Jon L. Sicks" <sicks at math.umass.edu>
To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net

Murray et al,

It seems that installing Mathematica 4 on my G4 Macs has forced them to
completely re-index their hard disks.

I have them update their indexes each morning and that process usually
takes
only a few minutes.  A complete re-indexing takes hours.

I installed Mathematica 4 on each machine yesterday.

This morning the indexing program reports it will take hours to complete
the
indexing.