newbie: computing rational numbers and decimal

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg30689] newbie: computing rational numbers and decimal
  • From: "Alan Tu" <alantu at students.uiuc.edu>
  • Date: Sat, 8 Sep 2001 02:22:35 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Thanks Bob and Allan for answering my question on summing lists. I have
another question. Suppose I have a sorted list (using union) of rational
numbers. Is there a function that calculates those rational numbers to a
given decimal position, preferably a listable function so I don't have to
operate in a loop?

Also, suppose that I have done that and now have a list of (still sorted, I
think) decimal representations. Is there a quick way to remove any
duplicates in this list, or do I have to use a loop and test equality each
part of the list to the next part?

Thanks again! I really appreciate it!

Alan