Re: Sticky Previews? Mathematica Export, Illustrator, and Textures

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg30707] Re: [mg30662] Sticky Previews? Mathematica Export, Illustrator, and Textures
  • From: AES <siegman at stanford.edu>
  • Date: Sat, 8 Sep 2001 02:24:01 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Dear Dale,

I think we're in entire agreement on the points in our earlier
exchange (appended below), with just a couple of wrap-up notes:

1)  Seems to be agreed that re-Exporting from Mathematica to an
existing file (on the Mac) doesn't erase and re-create the file, just
rewrites the data fork, leaving the resource fork unchanged.

Question is : Is handling it this way a good or a bad decision?

I can see arguments both ways.  Some users might want to repeatedly
rewrite the data fork of a file, leaving certain resources unchanged
(though I can't personally think of reasons why anyone would want to).

On balance, however, I suggest it's the *wrong* way.  As illustrated
here, it can certainly leave the EPS and the preview seriously out of
sync.  Suppose the file is then sent to another user, who has no idea
of this, or is stored on HD and brought back much later.  Opening the
file in many apps can display a seriously wrong preview, leading to
serious confusion (including looking at the preview only, saying,
"Hey, obsolete file", and trashing the whole file, including the good
EPS part)..

More seriously, readers of comp.risks will be very familiar with real
horror stories associated with, for example, Word documents sent out
as email attachments, thinking they contain only the final form of a
document, without realizing that earlier drafts, comments, notes --
possibly embarrassing, even incriminating -- are also still in the
file, and may be carried along with it.

This glitch in Mathematica's "Export" behavior may not be quite as
serious as that -- but it has similar potentials.

2)  With respect to EPSI and EPSTIFF, the "Textures" implementation
of TeX on the Mac (which I'll say again is a very good program)
apparently can't see either of those previews,and needs instead (I
believe) a PICT preview.  This may be something for its authors to
solve -- but Wolfram's adding an "EPSPICT" format would be another
possible, and very helpful, solution.

	--AES