Re: Combinations

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg30828] Re: Combinations
  • From: "Ian McInnes" <ian at whisper-wood.demon.co.uk>
  • Date: Thu, 20 Sep 2001 03:51:20 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

The number of permutations (possible orderings) of a list of n objects is n!
only if all items are different. There are fewer permutations if the list
contains repeated items.
For example:
        Length[Permutations[{a, b, c, d}]] is 24
whereas:
        Length[Permutations[{a, b, b, c}]] is 12
(the examples assume that the letters a, b, c... are undefined).

In fact the number of permutations is Factorial[n] divided by the product of
the factorials of the numbers involved in each repeated group.
For example, the number of permutations of: {a, a, b, b, b, c}is:
            Factorial[6] / (Factorial[2] * Factorial[3] * Factorial[1]) = 60

The following one-liner computes the number of permutations of a list as
above:
In[1]:= permCount[x_]:=If[ListQ[x], Length[x]! /
                                     Apply[Times, Map[Count[x,#]!&,
Union[x]]],1]

and can be efficiently applied to lists of arbitrary length:
In[2]:= permCount[{a,g,e,d,d,e,a,f,a,c,e,f,e,d,b,a,d,c,a,b,b,a,g,e}]
Out[2]:= 6233607431251200
Checking this result by the use of Length[Permutations[]] is not recommended
;-)

Ian McInnes.

"David Park" <djmp at earthlink.net> wrote in message
news:9o96q8$cev$1 at smc.vnet.net...
> Dana,
>
> The number of permutations of n objects is just n! (n factorial) which you
> can enter in just that way in Mathematica. For a set with 4 elements:
>
> 4!
> 24
>
> Which checks with
>
> Permutations[{1, 2, 3, 4}]
> Length[%]
> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, {1, 2, 4, 3}, {1, 3, 2, 4}, {1, 3, 4, 2}, {1, 4, 2, 3}, {1,
> 4,
>     3, 2}, {2, 1, 3, 4}, {2, 1, 4, 3}, {2, 3, 1, 4}, {2, 3, 4, 1}, {2, 4,
1,
>     3}, {2, 4, 3, 1}, {3, 1, 2, 4}, {3, 1, 4, 2}, {3, 2, 1, 4}, {3, 2, 4,
>     1}, {3, 4, 1, 2}, {3, 4, 2, 1}, {4, 1, 2, 3}, {4, 1, 3, 2}, {4, 2, 1,
>     3}, {4, 2, 3, 1}, {4, 3, 1, 2}, {4, 3, 2, 1}}
> 24
>
> The number of k element subsets picked from n items is just Binomial[n,
k].
> For example:
>
> Binomial[4, 2]
> 6
>
> Needs["DiscreteMath`Combinatorica`"]
>
> KSubsets[{1, 2, 3, 4}, 2]
> Length[%]
> {{1, 2}, {1, 3}, {1, 4}, {2, 3}, {2, 4}, {3, 4}}
> 6
>
> How precisely did I find this out? By looking up Permutations in my
> "Mathematics Handbook for Science and Engineering" and then looking up
> Binomial and Factorial in Help. Finding KSubsets is not that easy because
> the Combinatorica Help is not very good or convenient.
>
> There was a book "Implementing Discrete Mathematics: Combinatorics and
Graph
> Theory with Mathematica" by Steven Skiena the author of Combinatorica.
> Unfortunately, it has gone out of print. It would be a great thing if WRI
> could somehow arrange to bring it back into print, and also improve the
Help

To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net