Mathematica notebook saving bug ?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg30897] Mathematica notebook saving bug ?
  • From: uhap023 at alpha1.rhbnc.ac.uk (Tom Crane)
  • Date: Sun, 23 Sep 2001 02:16:39 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Dear All,
	I think I have found a bug in Mathematica v.4.0's notebook saving
routine. My platform is Win98. I find that after creating certain expressions,
then saving the notebook, that when attempting to reload the notebook, it
appears to be corrupt. The section of the session window containing the errant
expression blacks-out and the following error message is (repeatedly) given;

"There appears to be an error in the file named below. You should close it
without saving, the use the Open Special command to open it using the Ignore
File Outline Cache option."

On doing this, the notebook is opened at a section of code, which comparing
with notebook code elsewhere in the file, I can't see anything obviously
syntactically wrong. I've tried all sorts on things, messing about with
trailing spaces, trailing '-' etc. near the flagged section of code. but can't
work out what is generating the error.

I'd be interested to know if this is a bug, if its already known, and what the
fix is? Not being able to reload a session is very inconvenient!

I have put a couple of files on my webpage to illustrate it.

http://www.mklab.rhbnc.ac.uk/~tom/bugdemo.nb

shows my starting expression and a differentiation command at the bottom. This
file is OK. After doing the differentiation and saving the result,

http://www.mklab.rhbnc.ac.uk/~tom/bugdemo2.nb

is the file which displays the problem. Can anyone reproduce the fault on a
non-Win98 platform?

Thanks
Tom Crane.

--
Tom Crane, Dept. Physics, Royal Holloway, University of London, Egham Hill,
Egham, Surrey, TW20 0EX, England.
Email:	uhap023 at vms.rhbnc.ac.uk
SPAN:   19.875
Fax:    +44 (0) 1784 472794