Strange syntax errors when writing functions ?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg30956] Strange syntax errors when writing functions ?
  • From: Axel Kowald <axel at itb.biologie.hu-berlin.de>
  • Date: Fri, 28 Sep 2001 03:55:04 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Hello everybody,

I'm using Mathematica 4.0 under winNT and from time to time I have a problem
with Mathematica which drives me crazy. I wonder if anybody has experienced the
same problem.

Sometimes, if I write a function and press shift enter Mathematica complains
that there is a syntax error. I can't find one and copy line for line to
a new location until I copied the whole function. If I now press shift
enter it works, although nothing has changed !!!

While this is annoying, today it got worse. I had the same problem and
solved it by copying. But this time saving the file brought back the old
error message :-(  That means, after I corrected the problem, saved the
file, exited Mathematica, started it again and loaded the file, Mathematica again
complains about a syntax error.

Does anyone know about the problem and knows a solution ?

Many thanks in advance,

                   Axel Kowald

Dr. A. Kowald
Innovationskolleg Theoretische Biologie